Apple Cinnamon and Walnut Cookies
½ cup shortening
1 1/3 cups packed brown sugar
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup chopped
1 cup apples – peeled, cored and finely diced
1 cup raisins
¼ cup milk
1 ½ cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
1 tablespoon butter
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 ½ tablespoons half-and-half cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Beat shortening and brown sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and blend thoroughly.
- Stir together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.
- Stir half the dry ingredients into creamed mixture. Stir walnuts, apples, and raisins, then stir in remaining half of dry ingredients and milk. Mix well.
- Drop from tablespoon 1 ½ inches apart onto lightly greased baking sheet. Bake in the preheated 400 degree oven for 10-12 minuets. Remove cookies from oven, place on racks to cool slightly, and while still warm, spread with glaze.
- To make glaze: Combine powdered sugar, butter, vanilla, and enough cream to make glaze of spreading consistency. Beat until smooth. Spread on warm cookies.